Thursday, April 16, 2015

Gone Fishin' - Fragrance Lake

The quarter is beginning, so this is my last "real hike" I'll be able to do for a while.

Since I first went to Fragrance Lake, I've wanted to take the husband. He enjoys fishing, and my first time out there in the heat of day I was hearing a fish jump every 15-30 seconds as I looped around the lake. It seemed like a great fishing spot (though I don't fish, so take that as you may). It was time to show the husband! So we headed south of Bellingham to Larrabee State Park.

Fragrance Lake
Parking Permit: Discover Pass ($10 per day or $30 per year)
Distance: 4.75 miles round-trip
Elevation gain: 950 ft
The main trailhead is off of Chuckanut Drive right across from the main park gate. Parking there was full, so we parked a few yards south at the next trailhead.

It's smaller, but it will still get you there.
Both trailheads will connect you with the Interurban Trail and I've noted both routes on the map. If you park at the north trailhead, you're almost straight across from the route once you hit the Interurban Trail. If you take the south trailhead, you'll want to take a left on the Interurban Trail to get to the junction you want.

If you come across this big concrete....thing....you're at the south trailhead.
Either way, you'll want to find Fragrance Lake Trail. It's marked just by a "Hikers Only" sign.

It looks like this.
Then, start climbing. In less than 2 miles you'll gain that 950 feet of elevation. Fortunately, there are many, many conveniently-placed benches along the switchbacks. If you're not sure about your endurance and want to give a hill climb a go, this trail may be a good one with the ample rest breaks.

Bench located right at the switchback bend.
In the past I have totally struggled on hills. The first hike I took the husband on was up Blanchard Mountain and I struggled. I was severely out of shape then, with all sorts of back and ankle problems at the time. I worked to change that.

Trees desperately clinging to the rocks next to their fallen comrade...
A couple years ago I climbed Mt. Constitution without difficulty. I had spent an entire summer hiking each week. Then last year I started school and traded hiking boots for textbooks. When I hiked Mt. Constitution again (which feels about the same steepness as Fragrance Lake, though it's a longer and taller hill), I felt like I was dying.


The dog and husband stare at each other as the dog rests on one of the many benches.
I mean, I literally collapsed by the side of the trail and started crying. It was pure sadness.


There are seriously a lot of benches on this trail.
Anyway, the point is I totally understand struggling on hills since I've been there and done that. So I am totally suggesting this hill as a good starter due to the built-in rest stops if you haven't done a hill in a while (or ever).

The husband wasn't too thrilled with the climb. Admittedly, it had been a couple years since I made the hike, so my memory was fuzzy. But I thought I had explained it to him well.

Hubs: "You seriously undersold how steep this was."
Me: "I told you I felt it was sort of equivalent to Mt. Constitution."Hubs: "I didn't remember which one that was."Me: "I told you we were getting almost 1000 feet of elevation gain."Hubs: "You said it was only steep at the beginning of the trail. Half the trail doesn't count as the 'beginning'."


Translation of his look: "You betrayed me, woman."
As you climb, you'll come across a turn-off for a viewpoint. It will add about half a mile. It's decent but not spectacular in my opinion (there are other trails with better viewpoints), so we skipped it.

This is my photo of the viewpoint from two years ago, just to show it. 
We found a trillium along the trail. I never seem to be able to catch these in bloom. They are my favorite flower, so I was pretty stoked to find a couple along the trail.

So pretty!
Eventually we made it to the lake! It's a 0.75 mile loop around and is nice and flat after all that climbing.


The lake isn't big. Fishing is an option. I've seen swimmers, too. It's still a bit chilly for either, though.

Lake!
We also found a pair of ducks.

Mr. and Mrs. Duck
They were relaxing on shore until we came up and the dog chased them into the water. Sorry, ducks. Once we corralled the dog, I was able to get closer for them and they posed for me.

Pretty boy!
The lake loop trail is well-maintained with boardwalks over the swampy bits.

Boardwalks!

Inquisitive pup.
The south end of the lake is more level and marshy. The north end has cliffs to walk along the base of.

Rocks and trees and....water!

Looking up
We passed plenty of skunk cabbage in the marshy bits. I'm not sure if that's how Fragrance Lake got its name or not.

No one said it had to be a good fragrance.
We hiked back down the way we came, for a total mileage of 4.75 miles. If you follow Craig Romano's guide, he leads you back down along Fragrance Lake road, which is an old skid road and will bring your total mileage to 5.5 miles. It's a decent route that's less-steep and easier on the knees. We had homework and errands waiting for us though so we skipped the extra distance.

Fragrance Lake road highlighted in lavender.
You can also normally take Fragrance Lake Road uphill to the Cleator Road trailhead for a shorter route to the lake (good for fishing!). Unfortunately a landslide has blocked the road with no current ETA for a reopening. They're working on it, though! I imagine it should be open by summer.

You can still hike up there. Craig Romano suggests hiking to the lookout at the end of Cleator. When the road is open I normally would suggest driving up there to sit at the picnic tables, enjoy the view, and then using it as a launch point for the new-ish Rock Trail (not pictured, as they haven't made maps yet). In my opinion, the reward isn't worth the effort (it's a tree-blocked view), but that's me.

Despite the whining husband, I think it was better to hike with someone. I apparently was fairly ambivalent about this hike the last time I hiked it (according to my old Facebook album). But this hike was sunny and pleasant, and wasn't at all bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment