Thursday, June 4, 2015

Anacortes Internship Special! Part 5 - Revisiting Guemes Channel Trail

My internship has ended. It was such a wonderful experience!

Before I left, I revisited Guemes Channel Trail. It was extended from when I last visited it. There's currently about a mile of trail, so you're looking at about two miles round-trip from the trailhead at the end of Edwards Way.

I stopped to take a pic of the two boats that were at the ferry dock.

Bilateral Boats.
This is where the trail ended last time. It's open!

Ain't nuthin' holding me back!
Sure enough, as I came around the corner, I saw it!

It!
Unless you really know what you're looking at, you just see some boats and a plain ol' breakwater.

Until you get closer. And you see the breakwater looks....different...

Hmmm...
And you notice it's not a normal breakwater at all....

It looks suspiciously boat-like...
In fact, that is the hull of La Merced, which was a 4-masted schooner built in 1917. It spent some time as a floating cannery in Alaska. In 1966, it was sold to Tony Lovric, who towed it to the marina he was building and turned it into the breakwater you see today.

Consider how it stands against the boats next to it. Now imagine it in its heyday with four tall masts. It was a fairly impressive-looking boat!

I maxed out the zoom on my cell phone camera to try and get a pic of it.

Cell phone pics are....well, cell phone pics.
The trail ends just before you actually get to Lovric's, so this was as close as I could get.

You shall not pass.
Eventually the trail will connect with the Tommy Thompson Trail near the Anacortes Marina. They've been making great progress!

I noticed a twisted tree on the return trip.

Twisted!
One of the boats was finally heading out when I got back to the trailhead.

Boat!
So long, Anacortes! I'll visit again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment