Thursday, December 10, 2015

Art Appreciation - Big Rock Garden Park

So I've covered Big Rock Garden Park before, but this time I actually ventured into the park instead of the surrounding trail system. It's a small park, but there's lots of stuff to look at.

From Alabama St, turn on Sylvan St. Near the top of the hill turn on Balsam Ln; parking is at the end.
Big Rock Garden Park
Bellingham Parks & Rec
Parking permit: None needed
Dogs are not allowed in the park. I had a guinea pig though, and I didn't see anything on the signage outside the park saying no guinea pigs. It said no dogs. So I justified bringing in Pippin the Guinea Pig with me.

She is adorable and squeaky.
I've actually taken Pippin on a legit hike before once. I don't know if she likes it or not, but it tends to settle her down afterward.

Into the park!


The park hosts a variety of transient and permanent sculptures.

Endangered Species by George Schmerholz

Form of Chain by Kenji Gomi

Turn by Lee Imonen
We did pose the guinea pig with some of the pieces.

Turtle by David Marshall

Sun Gate by David Marshall

Unity by Russ Beardsley and Cameron Scott

Volatus by Rodney Carroll

Adam by Alexei Kazantsev
I love Sebastian's sculptures. He has one in the park and a few others scattered around town. They basically big, colorful, bold shapes, and they make me happy, especially on a drizzly Northwest day.

Liptchziana by Sebastian
There is a pagoda-style gazebo that is part of a Korean War memorial that is available to rent for weddings along with the nearby deck.

Big Rock Pagoda
In fact, the deck was actually set up for a wedding, either pending or already done with, when I went through.

Positive Spirit by Shirley Erickson
Of course, Pippin had to join in with the band.

The Three Musicians by C.A. Scott
Pippin was actually rescued from my last job when I worked at a motel. She was abandoned in a trashed room about four years ago. She probably would have gotten adopted quickly if I'd taken her to the humane society, but she was so cute, so I adopted her, and now she sometimes goes on walks with me. I walk my guinea pig. Whatcha gonna do about it?

Swell by Aaron Loveitt
Spiral Fractal #2 is another one of my favorites, just because it is shiny and sci-fi-looking.

Sprial Fractal #2 by Don Anderson
I don't know how hard it is to carve brick, but it doesn't seem like it would be that easy.

ZoeGarden Wall by Donna Dobberful

Gorgon by C.A. Scott

Peace by Tracy Powell
These aren't all the sculptures. A complete digital collection of the permanent sculptures can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. That was really a nice place to hangout with family for those who loves sculture and nature

    - Syamsid Blog -

    ReplyDelete