Thursday, January 7, 2016

Regrowth and Recovery - Whatcom Creek Trail

Today I took a short walk along a portion of Whatcom Creek Trail. I also downloaded the Zombies, Run! app, so I was getting chased by zombies the whole time! I walked, though at one point in the story I did break out into a jog because it was actually a fairly immersive app. I have the free version but I foresee myself shelling out payment for the full version soon!

Whatcom Creek Trail connects Whatcom Falls Park with downtown. From there, street routes take you to further trails that take you into Maritime Heritage Park; thus it is possible to follow the creek from where it begins at the lake to where it ends in the bay. I took one small portion of the trail today. I parked at the lower parking lot at Geri Fields near the corner of Puget St. and Fraser St. The trailhead was just down the road.

Whatcom Creek Trail
Bellingham Parks & Rec
Parking permit: none needed
Distance: 1.8
Elevation gain: not sure exactly, but there's a stairclimb with 105 stairs
There's a boardwalk-style walkway down Fraser with a crosswalk that leads to the trailhead.

Brought a walking buddy!

This shot was blurry because I was taking it while attempting to flee from zombies, but I think it sort of worked anyway.


The trail is never far from commerce. Cars and buildings abound nearby.



In 1999, there was an oil pipeline leak into the creek that lead to a large explosion. Three kids died. This totem pole along the trail near Racine Street came from Lummi carvers and serves as a memorial.




The explosion was set off within the park. If it had come down closer to these businesses, the damage and potential loss of life could have been much worse.


Valencia Street goes over the trail.


After Valencia, you'll run into road. Take left on Woburn and cross right at the light to rejoin the trail. From there, prepare to climb...


Our high school track team spent a lot of time running up and down those stairs!

From here you can start to see some of the charred tree remains from the explosion, though the area is actually healing quite well. There are also "peek-a-boo" views of town.


There's a small lookout where I turned around. Continuing along the trail takes you into Whatcom Falls Park and its associated trails for a longer walk.




No comments:

Post a Comment