Thursday, November 12, 2015

Behind the Big Box Stores - Cordata Park

This week I had some time after class got out early, and since I was just down the street I decided to visit Cordata Park. It's a newer park that I'd never visited before. The north end of town has seen growth explode in recent decades with lots of big box stores and apartment complexes but not many parks, so this was a much-needed addition to this end of town.

From Cordata, turn onto Meadowbrook Lane and go all the way to the end to the Birchwood Presbyterian Church for parking, as there is no street parking in the area. Right by the roundabout you'll see the trailhead to get to the park. My walking route is below:

Cordata Park
Bellingham Parks & Recreation
Parking permit: none needed, just be respectful of the private parking at the church
Distance: 1.4 miles
Elevation gain: none
It gets dark so early now. 2:30 PM and already long shadows get cast.


Signs remind you to respect the wildlife preservation areas. They show herons and frogs on them. I did not see any herons but I did hear a good chorus of frogs.



The main portion of the park is just a big, open, and fairly-level grassy field. There are some picnic tables, and then there's space to just run. It would be a great space for the local 'hood for Frisbee or to set up a volleyball net or something.


Look at that big boulder. That is someone's picnic boulder.


The trail loops around the field. You can take it south all the way to where it comes out on Horton Road.


I went back through the park and finished my loop around the field, and then took the trail east out toward Cordata. Here you get away from the little bit of woodland serenity as you wander past very obvious apartments.


There are more wildlife signs here, though the only animals I saw were two domestic felines getting into a brawl that was so epic I almost wondered if I should intervene. Unfortunately it sounded like someone may end up with some decent vet bills after that drama. On the plus side, it likely means some of these apartments are pet-friendly, something to consider if I ever need to move across town.

I walked along the sidewalk from Cordata up to Meadowbrook and back to the car to finish my walk. It felt very safe, though I know not far from here there are some relatively less-safe areas. It was like this little oasis in the middle of a bunch of urban sprawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment