Thursday, May 25, 2017

Baldy Mountain and the TP Jim Trail

This trail in the Yakima River Canyon was hard to find a guide for. Google highlights a short portion of the TP Jim trail that goes up Baldy, and it seemed that WTA's listing used that distance (I've since edited it, and it looks like my edit was accepted). From the parking at Big Pines, it's about 2 miles to the summit using the "official" trail, which is poorly defined near the top and results in a very vertical climb. I went a different route that added about another half mile each way. With 2000 feet of elevation gain (800 feet in the first half, 1200 feet in the second half), it's not a climb for the faint of heart; I was glad I brought trekking poles on this one.

Baldy Mountain
Federal Bureau of Land Management (trailhead parking)
Parking permit: FBLM pass ($5/day)
Distance: 5 miles roundtrip
Elevation gain: 2000'
Parking is available at Big Pines Campground for a $5 fee, or there are some gravel shoulder pull-outs outside of the campground that offer free parking if available. The trail is steep and goes through sagebrush steppe; there is no tree cover on this hike, so be prepared. I went in late April; there was some mud, but the weather was cool and wildflowers were abundant.

The trailhead is well-marked across the street from the campground. Following this trail takes you up the "official" TP Jim trail. This trail, from what I have read, eventually fades and dissolves until it's almost indistinguishable near the top of the ridge. It's also a near vertical climb. I did not go this way.

This is the official trailhead
The more popular route seems to be a slightly longer, less-steep version that makes one long, giant switchback up the foot of the shoulder. Just look left of the trailhead. This trail is the one I took. It follows the road for a short while before curving away and climbing up.



This is the unofficial trailhead

Some wildflowers were apparent on the trail
I thought about descending on the "official" trail, but it was slightly muddy. Also, I couldn't find the junction at the top of the ridge. It's hard to spot, and I obviously missed it.

In the distance, you can just make out the "official" trail
You can't see Baldy from the parking lot. Because I didn't have a clear grasp on how long the trail actually was, I was thinking maybe it was just this first ridge. Then, I looked east.

Oh snap am I supposed to go all the way up that?
The summit of Baldy is further away than it looks. I felt that I was hiking but not getting any closer to the summit.

Not there yet
Why does it not feel closer yet?
There's no easy ways here; the trail goes straight up the ridge all the way to the radio towers on top.

I found it helpful to periodically turn around and look at how far I'd come instead of looking at what was left.

It looks better this way
Once at the top, you can look around at all the hills around you and feel accomplished. Mind the radio towers


Ditching the gear for a minute


River bend

My hiking buddy
Going down was almost as hard as going up. Despite the mud on the lower trail, the top was dry, with crumbly, pebbly dirt and rocks that turned the trail into a giant powder board. I was sliding all over on the way down. I was very glad I brought the trekking poles to help catch myself.

Overall, this is a great conditioner hike just outside of the Selah/Yakima area. Again, I'd advise caution in the heat of summer. It was an excellent spring hike, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment