Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Yakima Skyline Trail

So I read a guide for this on wta.org's site, and in my hiking guide by Tami Asars, and I realized they were two distinctly different hikes. I followed the website's version, but I put both options on my map.

To get to either trailhead, be prepared for some rough road. From Selah, head north on S Wenas Ave. Follow it as it becomes N Wenas Rd for several miles until you see a sharp right onto Gibson Rd. Then take the next right onto Buffalo Rd. For the way I went, follow Buffalo Road almost to the end. You'll pass a fence that notes you need a Discover Pass. A high clearance vehicle is recommended, but I was able to manage this route in my AWD Subaru Impreza. Definitely recommend AWD/4WD at least for this one. The guidebook takes you through a wildlife gate onto a similarly rough dirt road that I have not attempted yet.

The website takes you from the southern trailhead (the red "P") up to the hitching post, with an optional push onto Gracie Point. The guidebook takes you from the northern trailhead (the pink "(P)") up a ravine to the saddle between peaks and up to Gracie Point. You'll pick up around 1400' of elevation gain to the hitching post, and 1800' to Gracie Point.

Yakima Skyline Trail
Washington State Dept. of Fish & Wildlife
Parking permit: Discover Pass ($10 per day/$30 per year)
Distance: 4-8 miles round-trip, depending on where you turn around
Elevation gain: 1400' - 1800'
I hiked from the southern trailhead up to the hitching post, then dropped onto the saddle for a short ways. There was a pullout nearby the trailhead that is large enough for several vehicles to share.

The trailhead I used
The trail climbs steadily along the canyon ridge. Wildflowers were in bloom when I went. There were several birds as well. I disturbed a grey partridge that may have had a nest nearby.



I couldn't see either Mount Adams or Mount Rainier, as they were obscured by distance clouds, but on a clearer day I'm sure there are good views of both mountains.





There was absolutely no shade or cover. I ended up burning up pretty good. 

After passing the hitching post, I dropped onto the saddle just far enough to get a photo of Roza Dam. I wasn't equipped to make it all the way to Gracie Point; that will have to wait for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment