Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Umtanum Ridge Crest - The First Half

About a month ago, I set out to discover Umtanum Creek Trail. Unfortunately, it was flooded out, but I saw another trail. I explored it for a ways before turning around since I had no maps or any idea what trail I was on. Turns out I was about halfway to the end of Umtanum Ridge Crest Trail. This will bear a repeat visit so I can finish it.

I gave stats for the complete trail. I marked my turnaround on the map.

Umtanum Ridge Trail
FBLM and WA State DNR
Parking permit: FBLM pass ($5/day)
Distance: 4.8 miles round-trip
Elevation gain: 2400 feet
The trail is on state land, but the trailhead parking is at Umtanum Recreation Area, a federally-managed site. Parking is $5/day, though there is a special annual permit you can get for the FBLM sites within Yakima River Canyon that is $25/year and purchasable at Red's Fly Shop south of the trailhead. The rec area is easy to find along Canyon Road. From Ellensburg it's to the south; from Yakima it's to the north.

The trailhead is at the north end of the parking lot. You start off crossing a suspension bridge over the river.



Next, you have to cross the train tracks. With the fencing, the best way I found was to duck low under the rail bridge that crosses, the creek, then follow the path adjacent to the rails until it veers off into the brush.


I could look up down Umtanum Creek Canyon, but the trail was flooded in early April when I went. So I took a left fork that led me up and away from my intended canyon.


It started off a bit steep, then leveled out into a more gradual steady climb.


There were some waterfalls and interesting rock formations.









As it evened out, I passed a rather large beaver dam. The steep canyon walls gave way to gentler rolling hills, and the trail began to gently criss-cross across the stream.





As the trail began to steeply climb again, I decided to turn around, since I didn't really know where I was or how much further the trail went.


Had I suffered the climb,the trail would have taken me atop a ridge with supposedly spectacular views. I will likely return in the fall to complete this hike.

Overall it was an interesting exploration, and my first hike in the Yakima Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment