Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Frenchman Coulee (and a stop at Wild Horses Monument)

Last month I set out to Vantage, WA, to check out a hike with a seasonal waterfall. It was across a desert basin with no shade or cover, so best reserved for spring or fall during cooler weather.

First, I took a quick stop at Wild Horse Monument, which is accessible at a pullout on I-90 E just outside of Vantage.

Wild Horses Monument
Grant County
Parking permit: none needed
Distance: 0.4 miles round-trip
Elevation gain: 150'

The official name of the artwork is actually "Grandfather Cuts Loose the Ponies", and was envisioned to be larger, but funding fell short. You can see the horses along the ridge from the highway, and if you are heading eastbound you can pull into the scenic turn-out for a closer look.


That trail that goes straight up is the proper way. That is the way you want to go. I followed the old jeep road along the side, thinking maybe there was another way...

It's worse on the other side.
 I went up that way, but barely made it, at the rock is loose and steep. Go up the front way. It's also steep, but it's more manageable.

The top of this very short hike affords a closer look at the horses...


...and the graffiti coating them. Still, it's a pretty damn scenic view, with the town of Vantage in the background.



Back on I-90 takes you on to Frenchman Coulee.

Frenchman Coulee
Washington State Dept. of Fish & Wildlife
Parking permit: Discover Pass ($10/day or $30/year)
Distance: 4 miles round-trip
Elevation gain: negligible


From Vantage, take exit 143 and hang left (west) on Silica Rd. In a short distance, take a left on Vantage Rd. Follow the road past scenic cliffs and campgrounds that are a rock climber's paradise. Near the bottom, a small parking area bordered by concrete barriers marks the trailhead. There's room for four or five cars in the parking area as well as extra shoulder parking. The trailhead is at the end of the parking area.


I saw horseback riders, mountain bikers, and lots of climbers, but I was the only hiker on the trail. The trail hugs near the road for a bit before veering off and heading across the distance. I could see my destination waterfall slowly get closer as I approached.







The first mile of trail is rocky. The second mile is sandy, which added a little bit of challenge to the otherwise flat terrain. I saw some snake tracks in the sand, but did not come face to face with any reptiles while I was on the trail.

Eventually I reached the waterfall.



This hike was short and sweet. I think the next time I attempt it I will lengthen my hike and hit up Frenchman Spring, which is almost directly north of the trailhead on the other side of the basin. Based on Google Satellite, it looks like there is an option for a loop trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment