Thursday, July 13, 2017

On a crowded edge - Rattlesnake Ledge

As I was heading back from Seattle recently, I decided to stop in North Bend and hike Rattlesnake Ledge. Ozzy the dog seemed to be feeling better, so at only 4 miles round-trip it seemed like a good hike to test him out on. I'm pleased to say the dog handled everything just fine (though he was given pain meds both before and after the hike).

Rattlesnake Ledge
King County Parks
Parking permit: none needed
Distance: 4 miles round-trip
Elevation gain: 1132'
This is a very busy trailhead. There is ample parking, but on a summer weekend it can fill up. I was there mid-morning on a Wednesday and it was rather busy. If you want solitude, this definitely is not the hike for you.

From I-90, take exit 32 in North Bend. Head down 436th Ave SE (aka Cedar Falls Rd) for about four miles. You'll see a well-signed parking lot that weaves around by the lake. The trailhead is near the entrance to the park; you may end up parking a ways off but lots of signage will direct you to the trailhead.

You can see the ledge from the beginning. It looks daunting, but don't worry. There are lots of switchbacks on the way up.

The ledge as seen from below
This is a busy trail, so try and remember right-of-way etiquette: uphill hikers have right-of-way over downhill hikers. Unfortunately, not many people seem to recall this. The trail is wide enough for two to pass in most places at least.

One of the trees on the trail appeared a bit....endowed...

That's a penis!
According to a fellow member of one of the hiking forums I am in, the knob has been gradually becoming more shapely; the slit appeared within the last two years.

At last, you reach the top. There's a wide ledge overlooking the lake (and parking lot). You can sit as close or as far back from the ledge as your heart desires (and as the crowd allows).


I neglected to pack Ozzy's harness so we didn't get too close to the edge this time. Ozzy likes to think he is part mountain goat, but he is bad at it, so he isn't allowed close to tall cliff edges.






On my way back down, I picked up a friend I saw discarded off the trail in the brush. If you recognize him, feel free to let me know! He's on my hiking back now.


On a related topic, this is not mine but someone in one of the hiking forums recently shared this video and I wanted to share it as well. It's a rough and rutty trail at points, as well as steep, so this was quite a feat to pull off!




No comments:

Post a Comment