Thursday, July 6, 2017

Where the daisies bloom - Selah Cliffs

My four-legged hiking buddy had a sprained back*, so he took the time to rest and I took the time to explore this hike that's near my new home but is not pup-friendly. When a hike isn't dog friendly, it's normally a huge turn-off for me as my dog always hikes with me, but this was a unique opportunity.

Selah Cliffs Nature Area is a state-managed preserve. It was established to protect the local population of basalt daisy, an endangered species of flower that only exists in a portion of the Yakima River Canyon. I didn't see any blooms when I made my hike, but they typically peak in June. You'll want to bring binoculars to view them as they grow up on the cliffs.

Selah Cliffs Nature Area
Washington State DNR
Parking permit: Discover Pass ($10 per day/$30 per year)
Distance: 2.5 miles round-trip
Elevation gain: negligible
From Selah, head north on Highway 821 toward the Yakima River Canyon. Just before you enter the canyon, there's an access road on the right (across the street from Sundown M Ranch) that is marked as a truck turn-around. Turn right here, head to the gravel road and hang another right. The trailhead is at the gravel loop at the end, with parking for about four vehicles.

The namesake cliffs on the southern end of the canyon



There's a half-mile interpretive loop trail that provides information on the local ecology, as well as evidence of the old homestead that once stood here. On the far end of the loop, an old jeep road will lead you out to the I-82 Fred G Memorial bridge. Don't try to cross the fence at the base of the bridge, as the Yakima Firing Center is on the other side.

Homestead ruins

Flowers growing in the old road

The bridge and the road disappearing into the grass
I saw hawks and lots of other birds in the area. I didn't encounter any ticks or rattlesnakes, but the area is prone to them so hiker beware. It was a lovely, short early morning hike that's a short drive out of town.

*I'm happy to report that as of this writing, Ozzy's back seems to be fully healed. He had to spend a couple weeks on pain meds and bed rest, but he's back to running around being his old self. He'll be fundraising for WTA's Hike-a-Thon in August. Look for a post on how to help out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment